Saturday 20 March 2010

Paris When it Sizzles

So we woke up bright and early Monday morning and decided to take a quick trip across the "chunnel" to Paris. We sometimes do whimsical things like that, which are planned by our fearless leaders. We were quite excited as you can see.

We got to beautiful sunny Paris, and then decided to hop on a coach and go to Chartres to ride the merry go round.

...and eat some deliciousness...

...oh and maybe to see this amazing cathedral and be taught about some of the beauties inside by the world renowned Malcolm Miller. I am positive that anyone reading this is green with jealous rage that I got to do this and you didn't, just wait... it gets better.

We decided to try a real French restaurant for dinner. It was quite a doozy trying to order, but the cute little waiter helped us and I ended up with a warm goat cheese salad. Not too shabby.

Next we went to the EIFFEL TOWER!!! It is so much more amazing in person. It was too late to climb up it though, and unfortunately every other time we tried to go to the top we couldn't. Bummer. The rest of the trip made up for it though.

We're best friends and we visit the Eiffel Tower together.

Then we walked to the Arc de Triomphe (thats Arc of Triumph for you English speakers).
I'm almost positive I walked at least 50 miles on this trip. Such an athlete.

I was giddy. Audrey Hepburn stood at this very spot in my most favorite movie of all time!! Oh how I love her Funny Face.

Casually modeling in Paris... NBD.

The next day we went and visited Marie Antoinette at Versailles. Although there were a million and one tourists, I still loved it. I have never seen a more grand palace in my life.

This is the Hall of Mirrors where the Treaty of Versailles (after WWI) was signed.

Everyone look at Brittany:)

Just a little taste of the grounds...

After Versailles we went to the Musse d'Orsay, my favorite train-station-gone-art-museum ever:) It had some of my favorite paintings. I love art. We ate dinner at this Chinese restaurant... not such a bad view out the window either!

We took a Seine River Tour, one of the most romantic things ever. So glad I had Arrin and Kira to snuggle up next to.

I am not sure if I have ever crashed harder than I did that night. Such a good feeling.

Wednesday may have been one of the best days of my life. We started out with Notre Dame.
Can I share an embarrassing fact? I'm in love with symmetry, naturally... this building is just for me.

We visited Quasimodo in his bell tower, and the Gargoyles who like to take bites of the Eiffel Tower.

Next was Saint Chapelles, with the most glorious stained glass I've ever seen. Pictures cannot do them justice... as with most things we saw.

...more Saint Chapelles...

Next was the Cluny museum, with Kira's most favorite pink doors and the famous Unicorn Tapestries.

We then walked almost all of Paris. It was so fun. We got such good weather while we were there. Everyone needs to visit Mouffetard St. at some point... best crepes, candy, and ice cream in the world. Pinky promise.

We walked even more of Paris, through the Toulerries and Champs Elysses, and then climbed the Arc de Triomphe!!

Booty shot in Paris.

Next was the Louvre!!! Annie may or may not have been jumping for joy.

Kira's favorite!!

My favorite!! (Oh and I may have been giddy here too because this is also featured in Funny Face). It was the perfect ending to a perfect day. Haha.

Our last day was also amazing. At the Orangerie, Kira got to see her favorite Renoir.

...and we saw some of Monet's waterlilies. Which are more breath-taking than being punched in the stomach.

Next was the outdoor Rodin museum, which I have deemed my favorite museum of Paris. I loved it so so much. This is the famous thinker, just a small taste of everything there. I never realized how much I enjoy some good sculpture.

We also went to the catacombs, one of the scariest places in the world. Basically in the 18th century Paris was running out of room in graves. The genius's from back then decided it would be a good idea to dig up whole graveyard and make walls with the femurs and skulls in an old underground stone quarry... and then just throw the rest of the bones over the walls.

The walls seriously went for 2 kilometers underground. It was disgusting but I loved it. It felt like Indiana Jones meets Pirates of the Caribbean, but real life!!

So scaredy....

We ended with this delicious cheese covered sandwich, which I think was quite nice.

SO... after 4 days, three nights, 5,000 miles of walking, 2 eclairs, 2 creme brulees, 7 croissants, 1 piece of chocolate cake, 4 crepes, 2 ice creams, 1 strawberry tarte, 3 visits to the Eiffel tower, 1 boat ride, 3 churches, 1 palace, 5 museums, and 4 sore feet.... we got back to London feeling quite satisfied with our little trip to Paris. Though more time is always required.

3 comments:

  1. KIRA i just love you and i love looking at your blog! all the things you get to do and places you get to see are so amazing and i'm so jealous! i especially liked that little video of you though because you were being so cute like a little child hahaha i just wanted to squish your cheeks hahahahahaha! "dunski"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm just dying. Dying!!!!!! I loved all the photos of the places you visited. Thanks for the wonderful journey. I can't tell you how many people I know who have said "the ice cream in Paris is pure heaven and so are all the bakeries." Oh to have just one bite of a French E'Claire.

    Hey.... I want to see what you bought me! Post some pictures!!!

    xo

    crystal b

    ReplyDelete