Wednesday 3 March 2010

THEN try and be my friend!

So I just got back from a three day camping trip where we kayaked and tramped and stuff. Tramping= backpacking/hiking. Therefore I'm the best new tramp around :) So picture this, we arrive at our capsite and it is POURING rain. The whole entire day. Then after we get there and have to set our tents up in the freezing rain we have to put on SWIM SUITS to kayak. NOw let me tell you about Kayaking. Now first of all, these kayaks are sooo easy to flip over. AND, when you flip over, they did not teach us how to flip back over, therefore, you are STUCK upsidedown under freezing water, freaking out and drowing until somoneone runs into your boat with theres and you can use it as leverage to flip yourself over. Yea I know right? Freaky. Now add rapids to the equation, as well as gerk leaders who make you try to do crazy things in the rapids. I've come up with the equation, please learn it now to save yourself from near death experiences later.
Kayaking+Rapids= death
Pretty much. And I especially hate it because I am absolutely HORRIBLE at it. NZ has been a great humbling experience for me. I have successfully discovered about 134 things I am bad at. UGH! I hate being bad at things. I mean i'm not horrible at everything, but I just wish i was amazing at it. Kayaking, surfing, rock climbing, listening (haha, but I'm not sure if it counts because we all already know that), etc.
Something else i have discovered about myself is my love of food. Yea yea we already knew I loved food, but out here, when people think of me, they either think about my insane hair (my hair is pretty dang sweet and crazy out here) or they think about how much I talk about food. When all 5 of us are together, I think I've realized that 50% of our conversation is about US (haha duh), 45% is about food, the other 5% is random stuff (like sometimes boys or sleeping out in the family room haha). So becasue of this, I have continued that out here and I guess its not a normal thing to talk about food!!! WHY? I dont know! It is super frustrating that i can't even talk about the food I am eating or the meal I am craving without someon telling em I talk too muc about food or I should be a food critic. Sheesh people. Seriously. Who knew?
But back to my 3 day trip. I survived! We eventually built a fire that provided warmth and made it fun. Yes it is true, somehow i enjoyed those 3 rainy and cold days. I'm learning a lot about myself out here. I have realized a new issue that has entered my life. Everything out here in NZ is so beautiful, that nowadays Ihardly even realize how beautiful my surroundins are! The river we kayaked down was AMAZING! Surrounded by rainforesty looking botony with huge misty mountains, and it took me all the way until the 3rd day to notice. I'm just spoiled by beuaty these days :)
OK I think I'm done rambling. This blog entry is pretty random. I didnt plan what I was going to write it just kinda all fell out of my mouth...... change of subject. Sometimes I force the people around em to say things so I can feel like I'm with you 4. Like this whole kayaking trip I taught everyone "THEN try to be my friend"! Ha ha it was hilariopus. Everyone at camp started saying it not even knowing where it came from. Made me smile. I mss you guys! Love all of you! peace

2 comments:

  1. Seriously...I would have died kayaking! Also NEVER stop talking about food, we do too and its half the enjoyment!!
    KDog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to look back on this journey of yours and say "Wow, I can't believe I did all that!" Who cares if you aren't good at it.... the most important part of the journey is what the road passes by, and you my friend, are seeing and doing beautiful things. Savor the moment. And really, I think you are making it up that you are bad at all this stuff. You are one incredible athlete so I know you aren't nearly as bad as you think you are.

    And.... just so you know... I have kayaked up a river and it was HARD. Yes, hard to believe huh! Me -- and a kayak. Now that is an amusing picture. And if anyone was bad at kyaking it was me! I think you are ultra brave to do it in a closed kyak ---- SUPER SCARY!!! I was way too chicken. I had to use an open kyak so I could escape.

    I hope you plan to have a slide show when you get home so I can see all your pictures and hear about your adventure. Hummmmmm I think I smell a youth fireside in the making!!! Start thinking about it, cuz I'm definately going to ask to you do one for us!

    x0x0

    Crystal B

    ReplyDelete